UFC on Fox 2 has its co-main event and it will determine the next challenger to Anderson Silva’s middleweight title.
UFC officials confirmed the bout for the co-headliner, alongside Rashad Evans vs. Phil Davis, on Saturday.
Chael Sonnen was gunning for a rematch with Anderson Silva after their hard fought battle in 2010. Sonnen controlled the fight and was up on the scorecards going into the fifth and final round, but Silva was able to come back and end the fight with a Hail Mary triangle choke to retain his title.
Ever since then, Sonnen has been seeking a second shot at Silva, but with the champion on injured reserve until deep into 2012, he’ll face another tough challenge instead.
Mark Munoz will be looking to earn his first shot at the UFC middleweight title when he faces Sonnen on Jan. 28.
A former NCAA champion in wrestling, Munoz has shown steady improvements in every fight including his last victory over Chris Leben at UFC 138.
Now he has the chance to earn a shot against a former training partner and friend in Anderson Silva.
Sonnen and Munoz have actually competed against each other before in a wrestling match in college. Munoz, a stand out at Oklahoma State, defeated Sonnen, who wrestled at Oregon. Obviously the MMA game is much different, but at least for now Munoz has a 1-0 lead going into the fight.
More bouts for the UFC on Fox 2 card are expected to be announced in the coming weeks.
* The backup image section of this tag has been generated for use on a
* non-SSL page. If this tag is to be placed on an SSL page, change the
* This noscript section of this tag only shows image banners. There
* is no width or height in these banners, so if you want these tags to
* allocate space for the ad before it shows, you will need to add this
* information to the tag.
* If you do not want to deal with the intricities of the noscript
* section, delete the tag (from … to ). On
* average, the noscript tag is called from less than 1% of internet